Saturday, September 3, 2011

5 days and counting!

Just over 8 years in Phoenix and Joe and I are making the move to Chicago. We have been discussing a move for quite sometime. The thing is, Joe and I loathe the heat!! How did we end up in Arizona you ask? Well, my parents happen to live in Scottsdale and PetSmart (headquartered in Phoenix) recruited me back in 2004. Although we have family and gained wonderful friends over the years, Joe and I are still relatively young (sort of) and decided to find a place that compliments our lifestyle more. In this particular decision we are also putting our personal life ahead of our careers.

To give you an idea of current life in Scottsdale, we run from the car to work or home so we don't get too dehydrated, sunburned or lethargic in 100+ weather. We hurry Tater when we give him potty breaks because we don't want him to burn his paws on the cement and sacrifice taking him on much needed walks because of the inevitable sweat bath.

Obviously the extreme heat is only a few months out of the year- so it's not the only reason for this exciting change. We love rain, snow and the idea of being in walking distance to our destinations. We have no children yet, so we can live in the heart of downtown in a high-rise without too many challenges. Our new apartment is on the 13th floor facing northwest. It's on the corner of Kinzie St. and Clinton St. Coincidentally located a few blocks away from Harry Caray's. 

I have never blogged before, but seeing as I have never lived in a city before, never not relied on my car for sole transportation and it has been YEARS since I lived in cold weather or any other state East of Arizona, I just might have some entertaining stories that develop as we make this trek to the midwest. What I should also warn you about it my ability to fall even when I am standing still. Infamous for being a klutz, I fall walking especially on ice, snow or in heels. My last visit to Chicago I managed to enter a revolving door going the wrong (counter-clock) direction! Anyone who knows me well, knows I am seriously directionally challenged. I couldn't find my way out of a paper bag if my life depended on it.

With that I leave you with this: Thursday morning Joe and I start the drive with U-Haul, Dog, Cat, Degu, my car and Dad for moral support. We hope to arrive on Saturday (in-time to watch some college football we unload) and I start my new job on the 14th.

Stay tuned as we embark on Phx --> Chi.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome views for you two! You are great at blogging by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay I am so excited for you guys!! :o) I can't wait to read your blogs. :o)

    ReplyDelete